Timber Frame Construction: All About Post and Beam Building by Jack Sobon
If you have only dreamed about the beauty of building with timbers, this book will open your eyes. It will convince you that this method is not only practical today for homes and other buildings, but often is less expensive than "stick building."
Timber frame builder Jack Sobon and writer Roger Schroeder offer a book for builders as well as those wishing to have the work done for them. Here is practical how-to for both beginners and experienced carpenters who want to try this method. It offers:
- The basics of timber framing.
- How to design for strength and beauty.
- How to combine modern tools and time-tested methods.
- A starter project: How to build a 12 x 16 garden toolshed.
- Dozens of illustrations and photos that make it all easy to understand.
About the Author
Jack A. Sobon is a self-employed architect and builder of timber-framed structures. He holds a bachelor of architecture degree from the Rhode Island School of design and has worked on barn moving and restoration. Together with Roger Schroeder, Sobon co-wrote Build a Classic Timber-Framed House, which is now in its twelfth printing, with nearly 50,000 copies in print.